Battery Switch

 

Blue Sea System 9001E Battery Switch

Pau Hana never had a battery switch for the main engine. It just seems prudent to have one in case for instance the starter stuck and the power needed to be turned off.

Another issue I had was that I had no way to charge the generator battery. I did run a wire to the battery charger but that only works if the battery charger is running. 

My solution was to install a 3 position switch for the engine and move the generator battery next to the Engine battery and wire that to the switch as well. The new switch would do 4 things.

  1. Allow me to shut off the engine battery
  2. Start the engine from either battery
  3. Combine the batteries for starting
  4. Charge the generator battery 
First I made a Starboard bracket for the battery switch that fastened to an upright next to the existing battery. 

New Battery Switch & Backer
                           
Next I installed 2 new Group 27 size battery trays 90 degrees to the direction of the existing starting battery. The engine and generator batteries are sealed Group 24 but the larger tray allowed a larger battery if I wanted. 

I reinstalled the engine battery. The existing wires for the engine were fine, but I needed to make up some new cables to finish.


I purchased some black 2/0 wire to make up the leads I would need. I also bought some red & black shrink tube to mark the polarity.



I disconnected and moved the generator battery. This also freed up a spot to install a 3rd house battery which I will do later.

The generator has its own switch to energize the battery for remote starting at the panel. I left the switch in place as it was mounted in a convenient location right by the engine floor hatch. 

Generator Switch

I had to make up a new lead from the new battery location back to this switch and fasten it in place.

I got all the wires run back to the switch & mounted it on the post.


Once everything was in place I tested it out. 


The 2/0 wires are big but more than adequate for the job & limit voltage drop.

I now have a little more redundancy & ease of use with the ability to combine and or isolate the start batteries. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

The "REAL" Journey Begins

Erie Canal - Part 1