Instrument Panel - "What's going on down there?"


    The instrument panel on the Fly Bridge had become ragged. The panel itself was cracked at 3 of the 4 corners and the top gauges had yellowed from 20 plus years in the elements and difficult to read. I tried to buff them out but all I could manage was a polished foggy yellow lens. The 52mm rings on 2 of the gauges were broken and the volt gauge was hanging underneath the console. 


    My first thought was that since I have a shop with the right tools, I could fabricate a new panel from Acrylic. I knew it would look awesome but I did some research and found that I could buy the OEM panel only Volvo Part #860182 for less than $100. Somewhat expensive but I figured I'd spend way more time drawing and cutting it.  Way easier. The Tachometer was fine although the LED hour meter wasn't showing. The LED hour meter at the lower helm comes and goes, but I handled that with a new analog hour meter at the lower helm a few months ago.

    I attempted to buy the Volvo-Penta Instrument Kit Volvo Part #873286 - $337.00 & 3 Front Rings (.52 mm) Volvo Part #858643 - $13.00 each. After I ordered them, I received an email saying that the kit was no longer available and I had to buy the entire panel Instrument Panel De Luxe Volvo Part #3587074 (doesn't appear to have the Tachometer), about $900. Forget it. Plan B. Since I received the panel I started the project and decided I could figure out the other 3 gauges later.  

    Pretty easy stuff but I knew if I didn't take a photo of the back I would forget where something went.

    I unscrewed the corners and pulled the panel up through the cut out so I could take out 1 piece at a time and place it in the new panel, starting with the Tachometer.  I replace the light bulb on the Tachometer.  I also sprayed a small amount of WD-40 on each terminal to help with corrosion.

Everything went back in perfect. I had the most trouble with the alarm horn nut. It took some gentle persuasion.  The same went for the Ignition module. I didn't want to "booger" them up so I gently turned them with enough force to remove them.  I thought I had everything in it's hole although I switched the Alarm Test Switch with the Instrument Light Switch. Easy to tell since the Alarm Test is a momentary switch and the Instrument Light is an on/off.





    With all the parts except the 3 gauges back in, I transferred the old warning light cover to the new panel. The warning light cover is a heavy piece of plastic with the 4 warning signs - Temperature/Oil Pressure/Battery/Glow Plug printed on the back glued over the light bulbs. I carefully removed it with a utility knife blade and used a bit of Silicone to attached it to the new panel.  I turned on the ignition and tested everything.


    Now what to do for the 3 gauges. I looked closer at the gauges and they all had a VDO sticker on them.  I still couldn't locate the replacement gauges without spending a fortune. 

     I just wasn't prepared to spend so much for new gauges. I ordered the 3 new Volvo/Penta 52 mm Outer Rings just in case I had to go back to my existing "yellowed" gauges.  

    While I waited for my new rings, I disassembled the existing gauges. What I found was that underneath the outer thick plastic lens is an inner thin plastic lens. The inner lens was the cause of the yellowed, foggy view. The thin inner lens was very brittle and crumbled easily. Once I removed the inner lens and reinstalled the rubber "O" Ring and outer lens, the existing gauge was perfectly clear and readable. Hmmm... 

    I went back to the internet and located some VDO  lenses. The only lenses I could find were "Marine Oceanlink lens" 52mm. They looked identical to the old lens and where for VDO. I took a chance, for $27 each it might be worth it.  Worse case I could reinstall the existing gauges without the inner lens with the new rings.

    The new rings arrived and the 3 new VDO lens covers. They were identical in diameter but lacked the wide rubber seal. They would work but I was afraid they wouldn't seal as well. I then removed the inner lens & seal and used it under the old (still clear) lens. I installed the the gauges, like new!

    With everything back in, and new instrument light bulbs for all the gauges, I started the engine & all the gauges registered fine.  All gauges are now easy to read. I certainly went down a few "rabbit holes" on this one but it's done.



UPDATE

    I wanted to go one step further to protect the panel so I fabricated a fixed cover over the panel with a cut out for the ignition. I didn't take into consideration the 2 pushbutton switches but I can activate them if I slide a screwdriver under the acrylic and press them down. Overall, still looks good and should provide some extra protection from the elements.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

The "REAL" Journey Begins

Erie Canal - Part 1