Flybridge Access

     


    The rear deck has a very nice custom aluminum cover. We have a full set of curtains for it but it is easier to access the boat without them so we have them removed & stored.

    The access to the flybridge is through a hole with a canvas cover. The problem I have with the canvas cover is that it is difficult to open or close it without hanging on from the outer gunnel.  I decided to make a hatch that would be easier to open & close as well as secure when we are away from the boat.

    I started by making a template out of 1/4" plywood. Making a template is always a good idea as it gives you the opportunity to adjust the design, especially when you have an oddly shaped piece like this will be.

    I decided that making it out of plywood & fiberglassing it would be the best way to go.  I used a piece of 1/2" plywood so that the final hatch would not be too terribly heavy.

     With the 1/2" plywood cut, I added a thickened edge to the outboard side since at that portion of the hatch it will not be resting on anything & when accessing the boat we would be sort of hanging on it.  I had to fill a couple of voids & "fillet" the side of the thickened edge. I rounded all of the edges with a router which always makes pulling the fiberglass over the edges easier. Fiberglass mat doesn't like 90 deg. bends.

    I used my pattern to cut the fiberglass mat & the fiberglass cloth, Spread some plastic out & I was ready to go.


    With the plywood & mat all wetted out on both sides, I let it set up over night.  The next day I gave it a light sanding & knocked off any sharp edges & applied a layer of fiberglass cloth on both sides & cloth tape to the edge.  Now wait some more...

    Time to grind and sand.  Once I had it smoothed out I applied a couple coat of surfacing putty, sanded & then reapplied to the areas that needed it.

    I'm not much for Gel-Coat, actually I'm no good at applying it so I opted for paint.

Once the hatch was painted, I installed some hinges & a hasp. I needed to put some starboard backing for the hinges as the top was very thin FRP with not much to "bite" into. I bought some heavy duty hinges that I thought would work great. The only problem was that they were for a vertical style door that “lifts’ off. I had to install some small stops out of Starboard to keep the door on it’s hinges.

  The I installed an eye with a lanyard so I cold open & close the hatch easier & some bumpers for it to rest on when it is open.

Overall the project turned out pretty good & is certainly much easier than the canvas cover & now I can even lock the hatch to make access to the flybridge a little more secure.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

The "REAL" Journey Begins

Erie Canal - Part 1