Small Projects & Repairs

     There is always a "TON" of small projects to be done on any boat and as I said, when the boat is 20 years old, there are tons more.

   This post is about some (not all, remember, there are tons!) of those small projects to spruce up the old girl & get her even more ready for her Great Loop adventure.  So many of the items originally installed just aren't out there to purchase, so using my own shop and local resources I have gotten some hard to find items replaced.

    One thing I have been doing is new graphics, striping, placards & such to replace the ones that are missing, faded or maybe should be there but are not.  I had some binnacle control stickers made for both the upper & lower station that look like the Kobelt but have "Camano" on them as well as placards with reminders or pertinent info on them.




    I installed a new head and replaced the gross looking non skid in the floor with a draining mat.  The placard on the lid says "NOTHING goes in this head unless you've eaten it first"...


      When replacing the head I had an issue with the Macerator which needed to be replaced, but when I started on the installation, the plastic (above the waterline) thru-hulls started to break off, so while I had my head and body jammed in there, I replaced 4.  There are a few more on the opposite side & stern of the boat so those will be next.


    Also I have been replacing the striping & the Troll Logo with our new Teal color scheme.  I have found out that pin striping is not my forte. After removing the old striping & adhesive, I put the narrow pin strip on. Let's just say it's not my best work.  I have an auto body friend of mine who said he would put the 1" on.

 

    An advantage I have is a full shop with some pretty cool tools in it.  I have a CNC machine that I use for so many pieces in my house projects.  It came in handy when I couldn't locate the nylon drawer slides.  The slides on the bottom of most of the drawers are shot. I searched all over the internet with no luck.  Finally I said "screw it" & drew them up & milled them out of some 1/2" Starboard.  They work pretty well, they need a little tweaking but since it was a low production run (6) I think they'll be fine.



      A few woodworking projects as well...

    Yeah, I know it's Oak & not Teak but damn...Teak is expensive!

    Like I said, there are a ton of small projects and a ton more to do. These are just a few.  And as always...Stay Tuned!

Comments

  1. How did you get the head non-stock liner off? Ours is so hard to clean, I would love to remove it and put in a drain at like you’ve done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled it up & then scrubbed the heck out of it with Acetone

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

The "REAL" Journey Begins

Erie Canal - Part 1