Canvas Work

  


    I needed some custom canvas work, so earlier last year I purchased Sailrite Ultra-Feed LSZ-1 heavy duty sewing machine for my Mom. 1. because she always wanted a good "walking foot" machine that could handle heavy fabric, and 2. because I needed some canvas work for Pau Hana. My Mom is a great seamstress and very accomplished with sewing large quilts so this was a pretty easy learning curve for her. Of course I was being a good son but I also had other motives 😁.

Sailrite Ultra-Feed LSZ

    The front windshield had a canvas cover which was great for storage but was getting a little "ratty" and I didn't like the fact that although it gave us some privacy and kept the heat down in the summer, we couldn't get any light or a view from the front at anchor. I wanted something that could provide some privacy and knock down the heat that can tax the AC in the summer. The port & starboard window side covers that came with the boat were made from Phifertex and worked great. I wasn't crazy about the color (tan). We needed some more color, so I purchased some Phifertex Plus Vinyl Mesh fabric in Teal. 

Old Canvas Windshield Cover

     We used the old canvas cover as a pattern. She made it about 1" wider on either end to compensate for the stretch of the old canvas and the end result was great! It definitely knocks the heat down yet still allows a view. Privacy in the daytime, but probably not so much at night when the cabin lights are on. 

Nice View

New Phifertex Windshield Cover

    My plan was to also redo the existing side Phifertex covers in Teal, but since the side covers were fine, I decided instead to replace the upper canvas that covered the side rails with the Teal Phifertex. That canvas was basically shot so I figured this would give the boat a nice color accent. 

Old Bimini & Side Canvas

    Using the existing pieces as templates, I marked them just under the rail because instead of wrapping over the rail, they would be "lashed" to the rail. It was a learning experience for my Mom but she has been sewing for so long, she knew how to handle the project.

Pre-Fit

    Once she finished, I pre-fitted the sides with clamps and started by installing the bottom snaps. I then marked the locations where the uprights and other items were so I would not place a lashing grommet there. 

Quick Fit Plastic Holding Cap

Quick Fit Pin Socket 
    
    The snap positioners were a lifesaver. They locate the exact position of the existing snap.

    When I purchased the sewing machine I also bought a snap/grommet setter. This thing is awesome. It sets the hardware perfect every time. I placed the grommets 6" on center and 1 1/2" to either side of the uprights and whatever else I needed to avoid.

Punching Holes


Snap & Grommet Setter

   Lashing the top. I took a guess & cut 3 times the needed length. That seemed to work out about right. I started and restarted about 3 times until I figured out the right way to install the 1/4" cord. Each time I snugged up the cord and transitioned to the next grommet I clamped the cord to keep it tight.


 


All I can say is..."Nailed It"! The boat looks awesome and now has a little splash of color.

Looking Sharp


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

The "REAL" Journey Begins

Erie Canal - Part 1