A Table & Bed

 

   We have been waiting patiently for Thanksgiving Break so that we can take a week on the boat.  In spite of Covid-19 we have had tons of construction projects & our real estate market is going crazy, all of which has made it difficult to spend much time playing on Pau Hana. I did find time to do a few small projects to make our trips more enjoyable.

    I installed some LED lights the previous owner had left us. I mounted them around & underneath the lip on the flybridge.  I also created a switch panel on the CNC for the LED (Courtesy lights) and the two new LED Flood & Deck lights I installed to replace the old battery wasting Halogen lights.  Next to that a USB port in place of the old Cigarette lighter.

    I love seeing what other Camano owners have done with their boats & I stole this boat hook mounting idea from someone (thanks whoever thought this up).  

    The center Captain's Chair was way too low, at least I nor my wife liked it, So I "canabalized" one of the extra adjusting pedestals the previous owner had left & made a higher pedestal.  The modified pedestal fit into the existing pedestal base. I orginally thought I would have to buy a new pedestal so this option saved me some money!  The arm rest plywood was also rotted so I had to cut two new pieces of plywood & re-staple the vinyl...tadaa! Like new!


    The last item was a new settee table.  I intended on building a solid wood table, perhaps out of Mahogany or ?  Since we will have two of our girls on the boat for Thanksgiving we really needed to have the table to convert to the large bed & needed it quick.  The table that was in the boat was split into 2 pieces. I liked having a smaller table there for most times but when I redid the floor & didn't want to install two pedestals.  I re-centered 1 pedestal for the new table.


    I went to Home Depot & purchased a sheet of Sandply. It is a pretty smooth and doesn't have a lot of voids in it, it's kind of cabinet grade.  I made a basic table with two leaves that folded out so we could have a larger table (like was originally in the boat) and we could have the table work for the extra bunk.  Again to the CNC to Laser some designs on the table surface.   I used some stainless piano hinge for the two leaves.  



    Overall the table came out pretty nice & will certainly meet the purpose it was designed for.  The one mistake I made was not rounding the corners where the piano hinge was, this may prove to be a bad spot to bang into.  Also when the table is dropped down It's fine for the extra bunk but not super stable up high as a larger table.  Not sure if this will be my final table (I think it won't be) but for now it will fit the bill.

    I hope to post a trip during Thanksgiving so as always, "stay tuned" who knows what will happen & what kind of stuff will break, after all...it's a boat!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

The "REAL" Journey Begins

Erie Canal - Part 1