More on the Cooling Side


    The Heat Exchanger, much like the radiator in your car, cools the engine by using the sea water that constantly flows through the raw water portion of the engine.  Sea water travels through the core or tube bundle to transfer heat away from the engine coolant.  


    Since I don't know much about the history of this engine, I am going through each portion of it to set a baseline.  I have been "itching" to get to the Heat Exchanger as I felt that what it looks like inside will give me a good indication if I'm up for some trouble with an engine that may have been neglected.  The removal if done methodically and with plenty of buckets to collect the 4+ gallons of coolant and gallon or so of sea water is not too bad. Once I got the unit out of the boat and removed the end cap I was pleasantly surprised, the tubes looked great. There was a little "ocean gunk" in there but overall it was obvious that it was in good shape and sea ready. It helps me confirm that I made (hopefully) a sound decision on a boat with an engine that is in great shape. Unlike my last go around with not 1 but 2 neglected engines. 



    I mixed up a 1/10 solution of Muratic Acid & water, dumped it in and let it sit. It immediately began the "bubbling" but it didn't last long.  While it sat I cleaned the end cap, washed out the Expansion Tank, ordered the "O" Ring and rubber divider inserts and picked up 4 gallons of Coolant. The Volvo parts should hit my door in a couple of days.


    The next project will be the After Cooler. When I ordered the Heat Exchanger parts I ordered a kit for the After Cooler as well so I can complete it in a day (fingers crossed).


    With all the parts in hand, it was a snap to put the Heat Exchanger back together.  Once the unit was back on and all the clamps were tight, I began to pour in the new coolant. I removed about 4 1/2 gallons so I had 5 gallons on hand. After getting about 3 gallons in, in order to get the required 19 liters in I had to run the engine up to temperature so the thermostat opened up and distributed the coolant.  So I had to add a little at a time in a few sessions.  No leaks and everything seems to operate smoothly!  Now it's on to the After Cooler.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Line

The "REAL" Journey Begins

Erie Canal - Part 1